vanagon westys, bit of help please folks

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oh danny bay

vanagon westys, bit of help please folks

Post by oh danny bay »

i am looking at a 1990 vanagon westy, so called california, from my limited research it looks like the usa imports were not called atlantics or california's etc so they therefore didnt have the stickers & decals etc all over them.............is this right??

basically i need to know if this van has been completley resprayed or not, also its on german plates so im guessing a serviceman has brought it from the usa to germany

thanks guys

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: vanagon westys, bit of help please folks

Post by jason k »

all atlantics / californias are badged as vanagons. :ok
98 Westfalia James Cook

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Post by dsa »

Hi my old california was badged as a vanagon but my new van Atlantic 1990 model is badged as Transporter both were from Germany :ok

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

hhmmm yours may have had a badge change somewhere along the line dsa. all atlantics and californias i have seen have vanagon on the boot.
98 Westfalia James Cook

oh danny bay

Post by oh danny bay »

thanks for all the feedback guys, sorry been a bit slow coming back, you know cricket to watch grass to cut etc etc

so its an ok van by the sounds of it???

is it true that all usa vanagons had round headlights and european ones had square????

is 8k a good price for a LHD 1990 atlantic, with 160k on clock & a recon engine 40k ago the body & underneath are rock solid, no worries there..a bit or tarting up around fridge vents including a mini respray on that side.

its got PAS, remote central locking as well, rear wash, tinted windows,

thanks in advance ...

dsa

Post by dsa »

Price ok if in good condition Dealers are selling late model california,s for£10k and above.Good thing about a westy is if you keep it nice it will hold its value i have bought and sold two in the last 4 years and both went up in value .In my opinion westy,s are the best conversion and dont worry about LHD you get the hang of it after about 5 mins :ok
Gordon
1989 Westfalia California 1.6 TD

dsa

Post by dsa »

jason k wrote:hhmmm yours may have had a badge change somewhere along the line dsa. all atlantics and californias i have seen have vanagon on the boot.

Could be ! the tail gate has had a respray in the past :ok
Gordon
1989 Westfalia California 1.6 TD

oh danny bay

Post by oh danny bay »

will have good look at the tailgate when collecting - thanks for heads up

LHD sorted in 5 minutes, im not bloody james bond, i dont expect to have the hang of it until at least junc 30 on the M5............

will respond later when back from a bbq at our local....if i can still type then

thanks again, ive had nothing but good vibes off the 80-90 site so thanks to everyone & see you around

vanwesty
80-90 Mem No: 2154

Post by vanwesty »

Hi I have a 91 vanagon imported from the states and it has square lights also have a 91 sales brochure all the vans in it have square lights,are you in the SW or were you going up the M5?

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

dsa
Sounds like yours has had a second hand tailgate, perhaps it had an accident or rotted badly around the lock, as they do.
Late USA models had square headlamps but thy are quite different from european headlamp units.
8K is pretty good for a straight Atlantic, I've seen these fetching up to 16K, but that was exceptional.
Dealer price over 10K for a straight one, 8K for tatty example (needing work) but obviously the credit crunch may have temporarily effected these figures.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

oh danny bay

Post by oh danny bay »

ok thanks for more info guys - i am getting more confused now, not difficult....

basically the guy is saying that a usa vanagon has round headlights, the one im looking at has square lights, & all my google searching shows every usa one with square, & he says its a standard european vehicle, never been anywhere near the USA

it has PAS & remote central locking which also leads me to think its a USA spec as they like their comforts more than us lot, yes/no??

either way i think 8k for this vehicle is good value, but will take advice from anyone

thanks again